Author Topic: Meanest bee's I've ever seen  (Read 156 times)

Offline pymaplumber

• Administrator
Meanest bee's I've ever seen
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
I had a man call me the other day to see if I could remove some bee's. I guess the Electric Company wanted to get to his line to do some work but the bee's wouldn't let them. I decided to go ahead and do a cut out even though it's late in the year. Every thing was going good, then it started bee's all over me stinging through my gloves and bouncing off my suit. I was using my bee vacuum and they were all over my hand stinging and biting. I took the ones that were vacuumed up to my bee yard and sprayed them down with sugar water apparently not enough because when I opened it up I was surrounded by bee's , my son was standing about 50 feet away and a few went after him stinging him 3 times in his face, as I walked away for a couple hundred yards they were still buzzing me and trying to sting me. Moral of this story leave the bee's alone this time of year.
Ben
Bee excellent to one another.

Offline pymaplumber

• Administrator
Re: Meanest bee's I've ever seen
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:52:36 PM »
picture of the house comb is about 5 feet long.
Ben

Offline pymaplumber

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
I ordered a  Buckfast Queen from Weaver Apiaries, Inc out of Texas  and she came yesterday I went thru the hive and found no Queen, brood. or eggs just honey frames so I installed the new Queen now I'll wait a few day and check in on her to see if she was released. It's late in the season so I hope she can lay some winter bees to get through the cold that's coming.
Ben

Offline AltusOutlaw

• New-bee
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »
I don't know squat about removing bee's and I really don't think I will ever do it it but I have a question.
When you remove a hive like that how well do you have to clean it out and will other bee's start a hive in there even if all the comb is gone.

Offline pymaplumber

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
On this cut out the bees were between the outside siding and 1"x 8" boards and the interior wall with no insulation after I took out the comb I scraped  the wall and boards down to get rid of the wax I then sprayed Clorox on the areas I scraped. After putting the main boards back I used 25# felt paper to protect against rain then finished up with the wood siding. I don't think they can get back in but time will tell.
Ben

Offline pymaplumber

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »
I checked the hive on 10-13-17  the new queen has been laying and they have capped brood I applied a formic acid treatment to get rid of any mites that they may have. The weather is starting to change so I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get into the hives for inspections.
Ben