Author Topic: May have lost my queen?  (Read 217 times)

Offline houstoneng

• New-bee
May have lost my queen?
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »
I moved a small colony last weekend, I previously posted http://www.worldofbeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=2620.0 on that.  Did my first inspection Saturday and I have a lot fewer bees than there were originally.  I have a meager youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer68TDTZXSyyF0cfCR0qw including most of the inspection.  I am pretty sure I got their queen moved into the hive, but I can't see evidence of one now.  No eggs I can see, and no really tiny larvae like I saw as I was moving them.  Only larger, more developed larvae and a lot of capped brood.
And there are what appear to be queen cells that weren't there a week ago, I don't think.  If they're making a new queen, should I wait and see if they start to recover on their own?  Or does anyone see anything in the inspection video that I don't?  I know I must have traumatized them by moving them, and probably did more things wrong than right, so I just don't know what the best path forward is.

Offline Sour Kraut

Re: May have lost my queen?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 06:35:57 AM »
Sounds like the queen went walk-about or was injured.

if so, remember, it is about 7 weeks from starting Queen Cell to first emerging workers from the new queen

how many frames do they cover ? 

can they survive that gap in egg-laying ?

do you have another small colony, maybe unite them ?

This late in the season, you need to give them all the help you can, so they make it thru the winter.

Offline houstoneng

• New-bee
Re: May have lost my queen?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »
I got a frame of brood and a queen from a local beekeeper and put them in last night. Tore off the queen cells. Gonna just give them some time now and see what happens. Thanks all for the help