Author Topic: 2nd Top Bar Hive  (Read 2453 times)

Offline skeeterhawk1960

• New-bee
2nd Top Bar Hive
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
Well, I built my second top bar hive today, well almost, I still have to add the top bars. I`m going to build another top bar nuc/trap out of the scraps. Now all I need is the equipment and the bees. I only need a smoker, a jacket and veil, a hive tool and some gloves and two hives of bees. I know it will be spring, on the bees. I`m getting there. It is a slow process when the finances are real slim. Anybody got anything to donate? Just kidding. ;) I hope everyone is fine and the bees also. ;D
Gary Harper
Trying to get started

Offline revdenver

• Administrator
  • Big City Beekeeper Denver Colorado
Re: 2nd Top Bar Hive
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »
Well, I built my second top bar hive today, well almost, I still have to add the top bars. I`m going to build another top bar nuc/trap out of the scraps. Now all I need is the equipment and the bees. I only need a smoker, a jacket and veil, a hive tool and some gloves and two hives of bees. I know it will be spring, on the bees. I`m getting there. It is a slow process when the finances are real slim. Anybody got anything to donate? Just kidding. ;) I hope everyone is fine and the bees also. ;D

I know what you mean its a little costly getting going.
I buy some of my stuff on ebay much cheaper than the local bee stores or even online stores,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-10-INCH-Stainless-Steel-American-Style-Apiary-Hive-Tool-Scraper-US-Beekeeper-/251406771732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8902e614

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-steel-hive-tool-and-Natural-bristle-bee-brush-/261202629016?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd0e3d198

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Inch-Heavy-Duty-Stainless-Steel-Hive-Tool-Jhook-tool-Set-Beekeeping-/251406787431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a89032367

I like PMTC Round Hood Bee Jacket and veil good quality and good price veil wont get against you face.
http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com/Category/1-22629-bee-wear.aspx

Sometimes craigslist has good stuff too
Just shop around you'll find what you need. You may want to add a bee brush to the list as well.
Sounds like you off to a good start

Offline skeeterhawk1960

• New-bee
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 08:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the links Rev. I appreciate it.
Gary Harper
Trying to get started

Offline revdenver

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »
your welcome
didn't find a good deal on smoker.
I paid 12 bucks for my. just shop around watch shipping cost.

Offline crawfish710

• New-bee
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Gary
  My wife and I tried starting a couple of TBH last spring. Like you money was tight. I bought gloves, veil and a thick t'shirt at walmart. The gloves where cumbersome so we hardly whore them. There is a TBH tool that works great for cutting the comb from the sides but it is pricey. We only got stung a few times but everything that could have went wrong did and we lost both hives. Getting ready to try again this spring.

Anthony
Anthony

Offline revdenver

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:07:26 AM »
Gary
  My wife and I tried starting a couple of TBH last spring. Like you money was tight. I bought gloves, veil and a thick t'shirt at walmart. The gloves where cumbersome so we hardly whore them. There is a TBH tool that works great for cutting the comb from the sides but it is pricey. We only got stung a few times but everything that could have went wrong did and we lost both hives. Getting ready to try again this spring.

Anthony

Anthony
What do you feel cost you your hives?

Offline crawfish710

• New-bee
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
Rev
   I think we lost the queens in both the hives. We never could find one and from what we had read and watched on Youtube that's what the bee's acted like. We had a lot of drone brood and one hive started a queen cell but we never seen them lay an egg in it. I bought a replacement queen but they didn't seem interested in her. My hive died off but we believe my wife's left with the replacement queen or made their own. I haven't seen bee's around here since I was a kid and a few month ago I seen some on a camellia here in the yard so I think they left the topbar and made their own hive in the woods. Since they never made a strong hive we had HB and a WM before they left. My advice to new beekeepers is pay the extra $2 and have your queen marked. We are starting a couple Langstroth this year and hopefully get a business started. Working with my cousins husband in his apiary to get some experience.

Anthony
Anthony